When you have a mandatory column in document library and when you upload multiple files and folders in it using “Open with explorer” option, all the files either within or without folders will be checked out by default.
When you try to check-in the file, it will prompt you to fill out all the required properties before checking in the file.
How to fill out the properties for multiple files(including the files within folders):
- Click on Library in the ribbon and click “Create View” under Manage Views
- Choose Datasheet view, give a name(say, Properties view) and check the boxes under Columns for Type, Name and the mandatory columns
- Expand the folder and choose “Show all items without folders”and click OK button.
- Now, fill out the values for mandatory column in properties view
- Stop editing this list
How to Check-in the files:
- Go to Properties view and switch to Standard view
- Select all the documents using ‘Tick Mark” behind Name column
- Click on Files tab in the ribbon and select “Check In” under “Open & Check Out”
Alternative ways to check in multiple files in Publishing sites:
If you have at least edit permission in a publishing site, you can use the below method:
- Go to Site Settings and click on “Content and Structure” under Site Administration
- Change the view from “Default View” to “Checked Out To Me” as depicted below:
- Select all the documents, go to Actions and select “Check In” as shown below